Terms & Conditions
CONDITIONS OF SALE
1. Auction - This is a public sale conducted by Kingston Auction House, a division of Stuart Kingston Jewelers, a licensed and bonded auctioneer. Kingston Auction House are the agents of the items being sold at auction. By bidding on any item at auction the purchaser agrees to be bound by these Conditions of Sale or any other conditions announced and/or published.
2. As Is - All items (hereinafter referred to as item(s), lot(s), article(s), antique(s), property, etc.) for sale are sold "AS IS" and Kingston Auction House, its agents, employees, and/or consignors do not make any guarantees, warranties, or representations, expressed or implied, with respect to the items or the correctness of the catalogue or other description of the authenticity of authorship, physical condition, size, quality, rarity, importance, provenance, exhibitions, literature or historical relevance of the property or otherwise, except where applicable under the Terms of Guarantee (applies ONLY to published catalog auctions, NOT Online Only Auctions). No statement anywhere, whether oral or written, shall be deemed such a guarantee, warranty, or representation.
3. Condition - All prospective bidders should inspect the property they wish to purchase prior to bidding. If a bidder is unable to view an item in person, they are responsible for obtaining a condition report and/or additional photographs prior to bidding to determine an article's condition, size, and degree of restoration. We endeavor to be fair and forthright with our descriptions and condition reports, however, bidders must acknowledge that antique items often show normal signs of use and wear, which might not be specified in a condition report. If you are a very particular client with expectations of perfection for the items you purchase, it is advisable that you inspect items in person or that you do not submit absentee bids as your definition of condition may be more exacting than an apprasier could have time to verify. The absence of a condition report does not imply that the lot is in good condition. Kingston Auction House reserves the right to reject any request for condition report/additional photograph in which, in our opinion, the value of the object is not commensurate with the time necessary to complete the request. Please also note that the warranties given by Kingston Auction House (applies to published/printed catalog auctions only), do not extend to the condition reports. Lots, especially those containing semi-precious and precious stones, cannot be returned once they have been removed from the gallery. Weights and measurements are approximate. Kingston Auction House does not guarantee watches or mechanical items to be complete or in working condition. Display materials shown in photographs are not included in the lot unless displayed in the description.
4. Reserve - Some lots offered may be subject to a reserve. The reserve is a confidential minimum price agreed upon by the consignor and Kingston Auction House, below which the lot will not be sold. A representative of Kingston Auction House, will execute such reserves by bidding for the consignor. Reserves are set at or below the estimated range. Under no circumstances will reserve amounts be disclosed to prospective bidders.
5. Auctioneer's Discretion - The auctioneer reserves the right to reject any bid which, in his/ her opinion, is not commensurate with the value of the article being offered. At their discretion,
the auctioneer may also reject any bit that he/she may deternine as having a detrimental effect on the item in question or the sale as a whole. Unless otherwise announced by the auctioneer all bids are per lot as numbered in the catalogue.
6. Registration - All bidders must provide identification and a major credit card in order to receive a bidder paddle and/or execute absentee or telephone bids. In order to protect us/our consignors' interests, we may ask bidders to provide a deposit and/or provide additional financial references. We reserve the right to reject any registration for unqualified buyers.
7. Bidding - A bid may be placed one of several ways:
a. In House Live Bids - In-house, live bidding is only available for select sales after registration and receipt of a paddle. The auctioneer will announce the lot number and a starting bid amount. Raise your paddle to indicate your intent to bid. You must be recognized/ acknowledged by the auctioneer. After the fall of the hammer, the auctioneer will annocunce the hammer price and paddle and/or buyer number.
b. Telephone Bids - Telephone bidding is only available for select sales. Any request for telephone bidding must be received by us in writing by bid form, online bid form, by fax, mail, and/or email and must be received by 4pm EST, the day before the auction. We do not accept verbal requests for bids. Requests for telephone bids are executed by a designated Kingston Auction House employee with information provided to us by the bidder. Please check all information submitted for accuracy. The bidder should receive an acknowledgement that bids have been received and if no such acknowledgement is given, it is the bidder's responsibility to confirm its receipt. We execute bids based on lot number provided by the bidder, not the description, so please make sure that the lot number is correct when submitting bids.
When the telephone bidder's lot is up for sale, a designated Kingston Auction House employee will call the primary telephone number provided by the bidder. If time allows, our designee will call the secondary number provided by the bidder. Our designee will make every effort to execute the bidder's instructions. It is recommended that bidders leave a back-up amount in the event that the telephone bidder is unreachable. Bidder agrees to a minimum opening bid of $500 per lot for telephone bidding, regardless of the value of the lot.
If it is necessary to change or cancel your telephone bid, your request must be received by 4pm EST, the day before the auction and subsequently acknowledged. Submit changes or cancellations to email@example.com or call (302) 652-7978.
Telephone bids are accepted and/or executed at the discretion of Kingston Auction House and at the risk of the bidder. Telephone bidding is a convenience for bidders not present at auction and we are not responsible for any errors or omissions in connection therewith.
c. Absentee Bids - Absentee bidding is only available for select sales (see Internet Bidding for online absentee bidding). Any request for absentee bidding must be received by us in writing by bid form, online bid form, by fax, mail, and/or email and must be received by 4pm EST, the day before the auction.We do not accept verbal requests for bids. Requests for
absentee bids are executed by a designated Kingston Auction House employee with information provided to us by the bidder. Please check all information submitted for accuracy. The bidder should receive an acknowledgement that bids have been received and if no such acknowledgement is given, it is the bidder's responsibility to confirm its receipt. We execute bids based on lot number provided by the bidder, not the description, so please make sure that the lot number is correct when submitting bids.
When a lot is up for sale, the auctioneer will bid competitively up to the absentee bidder's maximum bid amount.
If it is necessary to change or cancel your absentee bid, your request must be received 12 hours in advance of the start of the auction and subsequently acknowledged. Submit changes or cancellations to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (302) 652-7978.
Absentee bids are accepted and/or executed at the discretion of Kingston Auction House and at the risk of the bidder. Absentee bidding is a convenience for bidders not present at auction and we are not responsible for any errors or omissions in connection therewith.
d. Internet Bidding - Internet bidding, both live and absentee, is available for all sales. Third party online bidding platforms, Bidsquare www.bidsquare.com and Live Auctioneers www.liveauctioneers.com require an online registration. In order to expedite the Bidsquare process, it is recommended that you register at least one day before the start of the auction. Information is transmitted to us from Bidsquare and bid amounts are anonymous and we do not have previous knowledge of bids left by registered Bidsquare. At the time of the sale, bids are executed by a designated Kingston Auction House emploree transmitted to us by Bidsquare. We are not responsible for any errors, omissions, alility or inability, in connection with bidder's use of Bidsquare as we are not able to control the transmission speed.
8. Bidding Increments
up to $500 by 25
$500 to $1,000 by 50
$1,000 to $2,000 by 100
$2,000 to $5,000 by 200
$5,000 to $10,000 by 1000
$10,000 to $20,000 by 2000
$20,000 to $50,000 by 5000
$50,000 to $100,000 by 10000
$100,000 and up auctioneers discretion
9. Title - Title of each lot passes when the hammer falls and/or the auctioneer says "SOLD". Thereafter, any loss by fire, theft, breakage, or any other cause is the sole responsibility of the purchaser. Merchandise must be packed and transported by the purchaser at his own risk and expense. Employees or agents of Kingston Auction House shall not pack or transport the
merchandise. If the buyer requests assistance from an employee or agent of Kingston Auction House with packaging or transport it is fully at the risk, responsibility, and expense of the purchaser, and Kingston Auction House shall not be liable for any loss or damage that may be caused by such employee or agent. We are not responsible for any damage to property left on the premises, or removed and stored in a storage facility. Kingston Auction House is not responsible for the acts or omissions of third parties whom the buyer retains for shipping, or any damage that occurs after items are removed from the auction gallery.
10. Buyer's Premium - a buyer's premium will be added to the successful bid price and is payable by the purchaser as part of the total purchase price. A buyer's premium for each individual lot is 22% (25% on Bidsquare, or other third party online bid platforms) of the succesful bid price. This amount will be added to the successful bid price of each lot and is payable by the purchaser. Online purchasers pay an additional 3% buyer's premium for the use of the online bidding services.
11. Payment - Payment can be made with cash, money order, cashier's check, bank wire, or personal/business check. For new clients, purchases paid for with personal/business check or international bank check/money order are not released until payment has cleared, 10 days post- deposit. First time purchasers of currency or jewelry must pay with cash, bank check, money order, and/or wire transfer. We accept most major credit cards; however, there is a 3% surcharge to use your credit card for payment. Kingston Auction House does not accept debit cards, PayPay, BidPay and/or Western Union wires at this time. A fee of $50.00 will be charged for returned checks.
Items purchased for a third party must be paid for by the purchaser of record, regardless of whether the purchaser of record has received funds from the third party.
Payment is due no later than 10 days post sale. If payment is not received within 15 days of the sale, the credit card on record will be charged the invoice total plus a 3% surcharge. If no credit card is available or if payment has not been received within 28 days, Kingston Auction House will pursue alternate collection avenues starting 30 days from the day of sale in order to collect the balance due plun any storage, administrative, attorney, and/or court fees. Contact: email@example.com with any questions.
12. Non-Payment - Kingston Auction House pays its consignors 30 days after the day of sale. If a buyer fails to make payment within 30 days of the day of sale, Kingston Auction House shall be entitled to do any or all of the following:
a. After 15 Days - Charge the credit card number provided to Kingston Auction House and/or Bidsquare by the buyer for the total due plus any applicable fees (storage, interest, etc.) plus a 3% surcharge. If a deposit was submitted prior to bidding, this amount will not be refunded but be kept and applied towards any owed amounts.
b. After 30 Days - File a Civil Complaint against the buyer to recover any balance due plus court fees, interest, storage fees, administrative costs, attorney fees, and any other applicable financial hardship caused to Kingston Auction House and/or the consignor, or pursue
other collection avenues to recover any and all losses.
c. Reject further bidding or consignments by the buyer at any and all future auctions (Unpaid Item Disputes will be filed for all non-paying Bidsquare).
13. Shipping/Pick-Up - Kingston Auction House does not provide in-house shipping, but will assist bidders in coordinating shipping with an outside shipping company. We reserve the right to hold merchandise purchased until payment has cleared the bank (10 days for personal checks, business checks, and overseas money orders/cashier's checks), if we deem such action necessary to protect our interest. Items paid for via bank wire transfer, cashier's check, or money order, will be released immediately.
All items must be picked up, or shipping arrangements made, within two weeks of the day of sale. All bidders must notify Kingston Auction House by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), telephone (302) 652-7978, or fax (302) 652-7070 regarding their chosen shipper. The purchaser must pay the shipper in advance for all packaging expenses, including labor, materials, postage, and, if applicable, insurance fees. If the property purchased is subject to laws governing export from U.S. or laws restricting imports into foreign countries, the granting of licensing for export and/or import of such goods is the responsibility of the buyer.
Pick-up location is Stuart Kingston Jewelers, 3704 Kennett Pike, Suite 450, Greenville, DE 19807. Pick-up times are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday from 10:00am until 4:00pm, Saturday from 10:00am until 3:00pm. A Stuart Kingston Jewelers employee will bring purchases to successful buyers, and/or their shippers, but buyers, and/or their shippers, must pack/wrap and load their items.
14. Storage Fees - Any items left at the gallery for more than two weeks following the sale will incur storage fees at a rate of $5.00 per lot, per day (this rate applies to all items regardless of size or value). Storage fees will begin on the 15th day, regardless of payment status. Items still remaining at the gallery 45 days after the auction date will be considered abandoned and may be considned to a future auction without additional notice to the purchaser.
15. No Chargeback Policy - Purchasers agree that disputes of any nature may not be resolved by a credit card chargeback and further agree to refrain from filing any chargeback claim against Kingston Auction House and/or their credit card merchant. By purchasing at Kingston Auction House, the purchaser waives the right to initiate a chargeback and furthermore agrees to pay a minimun of $500 plus administrative fees, costs, attorney fees, and/or any other charges associated with responding to said chargeback due to the administrative burden of responding to said dispute.
16. Copyright- All information, text, articles, data, images, or other materials, provided by Kingston Auction House either on our websites, printed catalogue, and/or third-party websites are copyrighted and sole property of Kingston Auction House. You may not edit, modify and/or make use of such copyrighted materials without the express, prior written consent of Kingston Auction House. You may only use, download, and/or copy any materials for informational purposes.
17. Limited Liability - Kingston Auction house shall not be liable for any amount in excess
of that paid by the purchaser. See Terms of Guarantee for further details.
18. Jurisdiction - Purchasers are governed by the laws of the jurisdiction in which the auction is held. By bidding at Kingston Auction House, purchasers consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts in the State of Delaware.
TERMS OF GUARANTEE
Kingston Auction House sales carry a limited guarantee. This guarantee is designed to protect the buyer against major discrepancies. (i.e. major restorations or repairs not descibed, fakes, forgeries, replicas, reproductions, or major fabrications) that would have a major effect upon the value of the item purchased. The limited guarantee does not apply to online only sales.
Kingston Auction House warrant the Authorship of items in Bold Face Type for a period of 15 days from the date of the sale of such lot and only to the original purchaser of record at the auction. If it is determined to Kingston Auction House's satisfaction that the Bold Face Type is incorrect, the sale will be rescinded, provided the entire lot is returned to Kingston Auction House in the same condition in which it was at the time of the sale. It is also our general policy to have the purchaser obtain, at the purchaser's expense, the opinion of one (or two in some cases) recognized experts in the field, mutually acceptable to Kingston Auction House and the purchaser, before it is determined to rescind the sale.
"Authorship" is defined as the creator, period, culture, source of origin, as the case may be, as set forth in the Bold Face Type of a lot in the printed catalogue, with exception of amendments by any oral or written salesroom notices or announcements. All other warranties of authenticity of authorship, express or implied, are hereby disclaimed and purchaser shall take each lot "as is" and with all faults and errors of description.
Bold Face Type in the catalogue which identify an item specifically as the work of the named artist or author shall mean that the work is by the named artist or author (i.e. if the name of the artist is printed in Bold Face Type without a question mark and without any qualifying phrase such as "attributed to" or "circle of". Bold Face Type in the catalogue attributing the work to a named artist or author shall mean that the work is of a period or school of the artist or author, but is not, with certainty, by the named artist or author. This may also be indicated with a question mark following the name of the author.
The purchaser's sole remedy in the event of disputed authenticity of authorship of any lot shall be recission of the sale and restitution of the original purchase price and premium paid by such purchaser. Kingston Auction House hereby disclaims all liability for any damages, incidental, consquental or otherwise, arising out of or in connection with any sale to purchaser. Kingston Auction House will not refund any shipping and/or handling fees paid to a third party by the
Bidders are expected to examine material prior to purchase and at the time of pickup. If a bidder is unable to examine an item in person, they are responsible for obtaining a Condition Report and an Auction Addendum prior to bidding. If you are a succesful purchaser, prompt payment and shipping arrangements are expected, followed by immediate examination of all material purchased. The purchaser must notify Kingston Auction House of any major discrepancies to the description listed in Bold Face Type (unless previously corrected in the Condition Report and/or Addendum). Kingston Auction House pays its consignors 30 days after the day of sale. Once consignors have been paid, Kingston Auction House will not honor any requests for refunds. If a buyer suspects a major discrepancy, and will need longer than 30 days post sale to obtain documentation of such a discrepancy, they must notify Kingston Auction House in writing prior to that deadline so that payment can be withheld from the consignor until such time as the discrepancy is resolved or the sale is rescinded.
Please note that this limited guarantee does not extend to any condition report, oral or written, provided to the buyer by Kingston Auction House. Condition reports are provided as a courtesy and are not a replacement for physical observation/examination of the item(s) bidders wish to purchase, and as such, bidders must assume the responsibility for any errors or omissions contained therein.
All dimensions given in the catalogue are approximate and are not guaranteed. All weights, grades, and sizes listed are approximate.
Definitions of statements:
a. "Attributed to" - work is of the period of the named artist and may be the work of that artist, but is not definitely.
b. "Circle of" - work of the period closely associated with the artist or from his studio.
c. "School of" - work by a pupil or follower of the artist, in his style.
d. "After" - in our opinion, a copy of the work of the artist.
e. "Signed" - has a signature which in our qualified opinion is the signature of the artist.
f. "Bears signature" - has signature which in our qualified opinion, might be the signature of
Notwithstanding any other provision of these Terms of Guarantee, Kingston Auction House disclaims all warranties of authenticity of authorship for all lots consisting of works of fine art by or attributed to artists, authors, or persons living before 1870 and when no artist, author, or person is so identified, works attributed to a period which includes any date prior to 1870 and all warranties relating to the identification of the periods or dates of execution of property which may be proven innacurate.
Clocks and Mechanical Items - Items with mechanical parts such as clocks, mechanical banks, music boxes, etc. are not guaranteed to be in working condition.
Display Materials - Display materials such as shelves, holders, and platform bases which may be shown in photographs are not included with any lot unless specifically stated in the written description.
Lot Sampling - Lost depicted with the words "lot sampling" also in the photograph are only guaranteed to have those items listed in the written description.
Jewelry - All jewelry weights and measurements are approximate. Items with semi-precious and precious stones are not returnable once they have been removed from our auction gallery.
Purchasers are governed by the laws of the jurisdiction in which the auction is held. By bidding at Kingston Auction House, purchasers consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts in the State of Delaware. Bidding on any item indicates your acceptance of these Terms and all other terms announced/published at the time of sale.
Utilizing Bidsquare, you may now bid live from the privacy of your own computer or leave an absentee bid to be executed by Bidsquare.
Please visit Bidsquare.com to review the current sale options and deadlines for bidding on their website. Be sure to read the published Terms and Conditions when registering via the online bidding services as rules, bidding deadlines, and buyer's premium. If you are new to Bidsquare, you must click on “Sign Up” in the upper right hand corner of the Bidsquare home page (www.bidsquare.com). Fill out the required information, and, once you have verified your email address, you can sign up for any upcoming auction at Stuart Kingston that is posted on Bidsquare.
All clients are required to provide a MasterCard, Visa, American Express or Discover account number and expiration date in order to be approved to bid with Stuart Kingston Please submit our online form to Stuart Kingston so that we may approve you to bid. All bidders must also provide their full name, address, email address, and phone number when registering for an account with Bidsquare.
Stuart Kingston Inc. is pleased to provide all interested buyers with a condition report and/or additional photographs for the lots they wish to purchase. Condition reports are prepared by an appraiser at Stuart Kingston Inc.’s auction house. We endeavor to be fair and forthright with our descriptions and condition reports. To that end, however, we ask that bidders acknowledge that antique items often show normal signs of use and wear consistent with age that may not be specified in a condition report. Clients with expectations of pristine condition for the items they purchase are encouraged to inspect items in person prior to bidding as their definition of condition may be more exacting than an appraiser could have time to verify. Please note that the warranties given by Stuart Kingston, Inc., as described in the Terms of Guarantee, do not extend to the condition reports (written or verbal).
The Buyer’s Premium when bidding through Bidsquare is 20%
If you have any questions about online bidding, please contact Mauria Stein at email@example.com or you can contact Bidsquare directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stuart Kingston accepts a variety of payment methods including Cash, Check, Bank Check, American Express, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover or wire transfer.
Payment for your purchase is due within 10 days of the day of sale.
Your total due to Stuart Kingston is the bid (or hammer) price of the item plus the buyer’s premium.
Stuart Kingston reserves the right to charge the total invoice amount plus a 2% handling fee to the credit card account of record for any bidder who has not paid within fifteen (15) days from the auction date.
Stuart Kingston pays its consignors thirty (30) days from the day of sale. If payment is not received by the consignor payment date, a civil complaint will be filed in order to obtain the total due plus any applicable storage, court and administrative fee.