19th c., maker, ‘Professor’ Alfredo Santarelli (Gualdo, Tardino, 1874-1957)
gold lustre highlights, panels of foliate and imbrication, blue underglaze signature AS.., 8.5"
Alfredo Santarelli opened his first studio in 1899. He quickly became recognized as a major talent in the Umbria region famous for its potters. During his lifetime, he won many prestigious awards and was bestowed the privilege of displaying the Royal Coat of Arms in his catalogues by King Vittorio Emmanuelle II, an ardent admirer of his work. His pieces can be found in many museums and private collections of Italian pottery.
From the collection of a Boston, Massachusetts gentleman collected over a period of thirty five years.