Burton-Levin Foundation Plaquette: An American Bronze Small Plaque Louis Chatel Rosenthal for Medallic Art Co., NY, 1939 of arched form, the front with the relief of Jeremiah and a weeping angel, the reverse with three hands holding a torch above the inscription "IN THE UNION OF FAITHS WE ARE FORTIFIED TO SERVE MANKIND" front dated 1938, base rim stamped MEDALLIC ART CO.ny BRONZE Height 3 1/2 inches Estimate $ 100-200
In Arthur M. Feldman's article "One Artist's Response to the Shoah" (Tulsa Jewish Review, 1 April 2007), Feldman discuss the history and iconography of the present lot. The plaque was designed in late 1938 by Baltimore sculptor Louis Rosenthal for the purpose of raising funds for the relief of Jews persecuted in the Holocaust. The three hands holding the torch represent the Jewish, Catholic and Protestant religions, and was inspired by the artist's German-Christian friend who donated precious metals to be sold for the benefit of the suffering Jews. In 1939, 1000 plaques were struck and subsequently sold by the Burton-Levin Foundation.