Cleopatra morente, 1842, signed on end "Pio . Fedi . Fio-o/Scolpiva", carrara marble, 33 x 46 x 19 in.
Note: Most biographies on the artist Pio Fedi mention the Rape of Polyxena,1866, as his great masterpiece and which resides in the Loggia dei Lanzi, Piazza della Signoria, Florence, Italy. Also often mentioned are this work Cleopatra morente, 1842 and Buon cacciatore, 1843. This sculpture was executed during the period Pio Fedi spent in Vienna and Rome working in Pietro Tenerani's workshop.
This sculpture was a gift from Harold Koplar, a prominent businessman who built the famous Chase Park Plaza Hotel in St. Louis, Missouri. It was prominently displayed in The Tenderloin Room, a restaurant in the hotel for many years. In 1983, the sculpture was given to Koplar's friend, one of Atlanta, Georgia's top restaurateurs.
Provenance: Harold Koplar, St. Louis, Missouri, 1983; Private Collection, Atlanta, Georgia
chip on drape verso and recto, wax residue, grime, small areas of fill on chest and other voids