Late Prehistoric Period, A.D. 1000-1540 Fulton County, Ohio or Lenawee County, Michigan length 5 in.
Carved of dark black steatite, this outstanding effigy pipe is one of two nearly identical forms from the Sorgenfrei collection. It was found sometime prior to 1952, by James Cheek of Lenawee County, Michigan, while plowing on the Ohio and Michigan border. When Cheek passed away, his widow sold the farm and moved to Washington Court House, Ohio. It was here that Charles L. Kisling purchased it from Mrs. Cheek in 1952. At the time, Mrs. Cheek could not recall if it was found in Ohio or Michigan. Later, the pipe entered the famous Max Shipley collection and was sold at the Shipley auction in 1988.
The recessed eyes probably once had inlaid eyes or other contrasting stone inserts. The rim of the bowl exhibits a number of old, and well-worn chips, and both feet on the proper right side seem to have been reduced in height long ago.