Glacial Kame Culture / Late Archaic Period, 4000-1500 B.C. Hancock County, Ohio 5-5/8 inches
Carved from polished, green-banded slate. The flow of the natural slate bands helped to determine the final form of this large and exceptional Elongated birdstone. This is particularly evident on the right side where the bands dictate the graceful form of the head and the rearward thrust of the tail.
This birdstone has long, and distinguished collector and publication history, beginning with Professor W. O. Emery, a chemistry professor from Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana and later chemist at the Bureau of Chemistry, in the Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C. Warren King Moorehead also illustrated this same piece in his 1917 Stone Ornaments of the North American Indian, as did Earl Townsend in his compendium Birdstones of the North American Indian.
The base and underside of beak retaining numerous labels and inked inscriptions from former collectors.
Collection History: Professor W.O. Emery, Washington, D.C. B.W. Stephens, Quincy, Illinois (B-35-X) LaDow Johnston, Toledo, OH Elmer Grimm, Elyria, OH Ed Valerius, Elyria, OH Steve Fuller, Wooster, OH Lynn Brooks, Auburn, IN Jan Sorgenfrei, Findlay, OH
Publications: Stone Ornaments of the North American Indian, Moorehead, Warren K., 1917, pg. 98. Birdstones of the North American Indian, Townsend, Earl C., 1959, pg. 633-O. Prehistoric American, Vol. 43, No. 4, 2009, (Birdstone Special Issue), pg. 38. Who’s Who in Indian Relics, Wachtel, H.C., Vol. II, 1968, pg. 270.
Provenance: Ex Professor W.O. Emery, Washington, D.C.;
Ex B.W. Stephens, Quincy, Illinois (B-35-X);
Ex LaDow Johnston, Toledo, OH;
Ex Elmer Grimm, Elyria, OH;
Ex Ed Valerius, Elyria, OH;
Ex Steve Fuller, Wooster, OH;
Ex Lynn Brooks, Auburn, IN; From the Co