J.P. Ball Quarter Plate Daguerreotype of a Couple
Quarter plate, hand-tinted daguerreotype portrait of a well-dressed man and woman, presumably a husband and wife, housed under mat stamped J.P. Ball/ Cincinnati, in a half leather case.
Noted African American photographer, J.P. Ball, opened his first studio in Cincinnati, OH in 1845, then became an itinerant photographer, traveling to Pittsburgh, Richmond, and throughout Ohio. He eventually resettled in Cincinnati in 1849 and opened a Daguerreian Gallery downtown, which subsequently became one of the most well known galleries in the US. During the early 1850s, when Ball opened an additional gallery in Cincinnati, he hired his future brother-in-law, Alexander Thomas, to work with him, and by 1857, he became a full partner in the business. Ball and Thomas' gallery was soon known as "the finest photographic gallery west of the Allegheny Mountains." (Information obtained from the Cincinnati Historical Library: J.P. Ball Database, October 15, 2015.)
Some surface spotting and oxidization of the image on the bottom margin. The cover of the case is missing.