Maps of West Hickory Creek, Venango and Warren Counties, Pennsylvania, From Surveys by R.S. and H. Paul
Folding map of West Hickory Creek, Venango and Warren Cos. PA. From actual surveys by R.S. & H. Paul,C.E.s. Drawn by George Paul. Published by George, R.S. & H. Paul, Neillsburg, Venango Co. Pa. 1866. In black cloth binder, 4 x 8 in., with gilt title "Paul's Map of West Hickory." Along the right side are ads for "White House," Hickory City, PA; De Soto House, Neillsburg, PA.; Manross House, West Hickory, Sheridan City, PA; Brown's Hotel, Neillsburg, likely all hotels and boarding houses for the influx of "roughnecks." Several ads pertain more directly to the oil "boom": McCreary & Co. Machinists & Blacksmiths, which advertises "Tools and all Articles pertaining to Oil operation constantly on hand" and W.E. Murray & Co. "Wells Bored by Contract." Hickory City, PA. Theodore B. Foster, "Practical Derrick Builder." Wm. B. Hurry, Builder, Neillsburg, PA. Derricks, Well Rigs. and an ad for R.S. & H. Paul, Civil Engineers and Surveyors, Perry (Neillsburg,) Venango Co., PA. The surveyed tracts, outlined in color, identify the companies: West Hickory Oil & Mining Co., Hickory Farm Oil Co., Cherry & Trout Run Oil & Mining Co., Buckhorn Run & Allegheny Pet[roleum] Co., and many more.
West Hickory is about 18 miles northeast of Oil City and 14 miles ESE of Titusville - the heart of the first US oil boom. The only copies located by WorldCat in libraries were two in the British Library. A rare map from the beginning of the rush for "black gold."
Excellent condition; some very minor toning on the paper.