Quarter Plate Ambrotype of a Street View of Smith's Hall in Cayuga County, New York
Quarter plate ambrotype of Smith's Hall, a three-story building with signs on the first level for P.H. Van Schaick, J.C. Fuller/Tailor, and C.E. Parker. A crate in front of Parker's storefront is addressed C.E. Parker, Moravia, Cayuga Co., placing the scene in the Finger Lakes region of New York State, near Auburn, ca 1855. County records state that Charles E. Parker purchased a store in Moravia in 1849 and operated it until 1864, when he transferred it to his son and was elected Village President the following year. Image is housed in a Chasse au Faucon Union case (Krainik-32) under an unusual mat.
Image VG+. Addresses on crates are clearly legible under magnification. Case with two chips in the extreme corners, else excellent. Plate has been sealed with Filmoplast P-90.