Exceptional Cased Set of English Flintlock Officers' / Dueling Pistols made by Durs Egg, London Fully Restored
c. 1786-1805, Cased Set of English Flintlock Officers'/Dueling Pistols made by Durs Egg, London, Restored, Housed in their Original 20" x 3" x 8.75" Wooden Case with Maker's Label, Choice Very Fine.
A professionally Restored English Cased Set of Flintlock Officers'/Dueling Pistols, Made by the Famous Gunmaker, Durs Egg, London. Housed in their Original 20" x 3" x 8.75" Wooden Case. The Maker's Label inside the green felt lined lid reads: "EGG / GUN MAKER to the Royal Highnesses the Prince of Wales / Duke of York, , &c, &c, / Corner of Coventry Street Hay Market." Both Pistols have 9", .60 caliber round steel smoothbore barrels engraved on the top "D Egg - LONDON" and are struck on the left side of the breech with 2 oval proof and view marks. The barrel tangs have high-quality Decorative Engraving. The locks have Decorative Engraving with sliding safeties and is Maker Signed, "D Egg". All steel furniture includes decorative engraved butt caps and trigger guards with acorn finials, about 50% of the original blue remains. Each Pistol measures 14.5" overall length. Both Pistols retain wood tompions. Their stocks are solid with expected light scratches and dings from years of handling and retain 95% of their original varnish. Both Pistols have Horn-tipped wood ram rods. A beautiful Pair of Cased Pistols in good mechanical working order.
Included Accessories: turn screw, bullet mold, lead balls, pan brush, loading/cleaning rod, double turn screw, shot container, red leather 3-way powder flask, tow, extra flints, patches, and some frizzens that are broken. It is our opinion that both Pistols were converted to percussion in the 1840's or 1850's and then Re-converted back to the flintlock configuration most likely in the 20th century. The work is professional and very well done. See: Ref. pages 42-43. BRITISH GUNMAKERS Their Trade Cards, Cases and Equipment, 1760-1860, by Keith Neal & D.H.L. Back. c. 1980.
It was a common practice for captured or surrendered guns to have the cocks or pans or both intentionally broken off rendering them inert before being returned to the owner (if returned at all). Sometimes this practice was not performed among Officers out of respect because most Officers owned their own weapons.
About the Maker: According to Keith Neal & D.H.L. Back, Durs Egg started business in 1772. He worked at 24 Prince Street, Leicester Fields (1778-1786) and then from (1786-1805) at the corner of Coventry Street, Haymarket. He died in 1831. He was one of about a dozen of the most famous English gunmakers
Our Auction Contents:
Black History & Slavery: (Lots 1 - 63)
Abraham Lincoln Related: (Lots 64 - 74)
Historic Autographs: (Lots 75 - 235)
Colonial America: (Lots 236 - 261)
Revolutionary War: (Lots 262 - 304)
George Washington Related: (Lots 305 - 306)
Early American Guns & Weapons: (Lots 307 - 318)