Sea and Rocks, Small Point, Maine
signed and dated Marin 1917, l.l.; titled verso
sheet: 19 1/2 x 16 1/4 in., frame: 24 x 21 in.
Provenance: The estate of the artist; Kennedy Galleries, New York; Richard York Gallery, New York; A Maine Perspective: The Collection of a New England Gentleman.
- Marlborough Gallery, New York, John Marin, 1972, no. 36 (illus).
- Richard York Gallery, New York, John Marin: The 291 Years, 1998-9, no. 38 (illus).
Literature: Reich, Sheldon, John Marin: A Stylistic Analysis and Catalogue Raisonné, 1970, vol. 2, no. 17.35.
- A second watercolor verso, with faint pencil lines throughout and "other side" written in pencil in large script across the work.
- Richard York Gallery, New York, label verso.
- Kennedy Galleries, New York, label verso.