BID ON THE-SALEROOM.COM
The prototype 'Big' Healey was the sensation of the 1952 London Motorshow. Once in production it enjoyed steady development, with the original four-cylinder cars giving way to the 100-Six of 1956, which was followed by the first of the 3000s in 1959 and the MKII 3000 in 1961. Readily identified by its new grille and bonnet air intake, the MKII was still offered in both two-seater (BN7) and four-seater (BT7) guises. Power was increased to 132bhp, courtesy of three 1.5 inch SUs on separate inlet manifolds. Of the 355 examples built, most went to the USA - only a small percentage was equipped with RHD for the home market.
The lefthand drive BT7 MKII now offered was supplied new to the USA in 1962. The bodywork is finished in classic British Racing Green, the four-seat interior trimmed in Black, and the Healey benefits from having a Works-style hardtop. It rides on wide section colour-keyed wire wheels and the car's muscular appearance is further enhanced by a side exit exhaust system and the replacement of the front bumper with a pair of large driving/fog lights, and the rear one by a couple of substantial over-riders. The triple carburettor engine drives through a four-speed overdrive gearbox. The disc/drum braking system has recently been refurbished and a servo installed. The vendor informs us that 'the Healey's paint and panel fit are A1, the responsiveness of the engine is a revelation, and the car goes and sounds as good as it looks - it wants to be driven fast'!
From the outset, the 'Big' Healey proved to be a fine competition car and just taking 1961, the year the sale car was made, as an example Works versions: achieved outright victory on the Alpine Rally; and class wins in the Tulip, Acropolis, Liege-Rome-Liege, RAC and Tour de Corse events.