BID ON THE-SALEROOM.COM
When unveiled in September 1955, what we now know as the MKI was dubbed the Jaguar 2.4 Litre - the MKI moniker being a subsequent invention to distinguish the early car from the MKII version that replaced it in 1959. The newcomer was Jaguar's first unitary construction model and was sized to compete with the Humbers, Standards and Rovers that were dominating the post-war sector for middle-weight executive Saloons. As the original name suggested, the MKI was only initially available with a 2.4-litre version of the company's ubiquitous XK engine; the 3.4-litre option not appearing in the US for another 17 months, and later still in the home market. Both variants proved popular over the model's five year reign, with the MKI eventually accounting for just over half the combined sales of 37,397. Its performance was pretty impressive too, and Motor magazine's 1956 test returned a top speed of 101.5mph and 14.4 seconds for the 0-60mph sprint. A distinguishing feature of the model was its narrow rear track (it's 4.5 inches less than the front one) which though, probably incorrectly, was felt to create understeer at low speeds, endowed the Jaguar with impressive straight line stability.
The righthand drive sale car vacated Jaguar's Browns Lane plant in 1959 and is thought to have spent its early life in South Africa, finally returning to these shores in 1990. The engine and carburettors have been overhauled in the last 12 months and the vendor now classes the bodywork as 'excellent'; the six-cylinder engine, Ivory-coloured paintwork and Burgundy leather interior trim as 'very good'; and the four-speed manual transmission as 'good'; and says 'TAS 905' runs and drives very well'. The car's odometer currently registers an unwarranted 32,200 miles and the Jaguar is being sold complete with a history file containing various items of paperwork and old MOTs etc.