Brian Sanders (British, B. 1937) "Sinking of HMS Prince of Wales & HMS Hood " Original Oil on Canvas.
Provenance: Collection of James A. Helzer (1946-2008), Founder of Unicover Corporation.
This painting originally appeared on the Republic of the Marshall Islands 50c Sinking of the Bismarck 1941 HMS Hood stamp issued May 27, 1991.
HMS Hood was the largest and most famous warship in the Royal Navy. Built during the dreadnought era of World War I, the "Mighty Hood" combined beautiful lines with massive size to produce the pride of the British Navy. In 1939 Adolf Hitler launched the German battleship Bismarck as the world's newest and most powerful warship. On May 22, 1941, a British battle squadron led by the Hood raced to engage the German colossus as it sailed from Norway toward the North Atlantic. The fleets clashed on May 24, and a shell penetrated the Hood's flimsy deck armor and exploded. The remaining British fleet watched helplessly as the merciless Atlantic engulfed the Hood and more than 1,400 seamen. Within three minutes Britain's beloved flagship was gone.
Image Size: 10.5 x 35.25 in.
Overall Size: 14.25 x 38.25 in.
(B12891 / B12892)
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through 6 online platforms and shipping can become backlogged, if you would like a list of local shippers please email us directly.
- Our auction catalogs are hosted through multiple online platforms along with phone and in-house bidding. Bids placed on other platforms are not shown through this catalog. Because of this, even if it appears you are the only absentee bid or bidder on a lot, you may already be out bid or may have placed a bid equal to another bidder. Therefore, we always recommend bidding live.