Charles J Lundgren (New York, Connecticut, 1911 - 1988) "U.S.S. Texas" Signed lower right. Original Oil painting on Masonite.
Provenance: Collection of James A. Helzer (1946-2008), Founder of Unicover Corporation.
This painting appeared on the Fleetwood Commemorative Cover for the U.S.S. Texas. Distinguished for her service as the flagship for the entire United States Fleet, the U.S.S. Texas was commissioned on 12 March 1914 with Captain Albert W. Grant in command. Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet, U.S.S. Texas saw her first action in Mexican waters in late April, 1914. Her next major action came as the United States entered World War I. She was sent to join the British Grand Fleet on 30 January 1917, arriving at Scapa Flow on 11 February. She assisted the British Fleet until 20-21 November 1918 when she accompanied the Grand Fleet to meet the surrendering German Fleet. After the war she served in the Pacific and the Atlantic Fleets until January 1931, when she was declared Flagship of the United States Fleet. Soon after World War II began in Europe, the U.S.S. Texas operated on the Neutrality Patrol until January 1942, when she got underway as a convoy escort following the bombing of Pearl Harbor. On 23 October 1942, the U.S.S. Texas embarked on her first major combat operation, participating in "Operation Torch" -- the invasion of North Africa. She arrived off the assault beaches in the early morning of 8 November and, by early afternoon her guns pounded Axis positions. The U.S.S. Texas fought with distinction in both the European and Pacific Theaters of World War II, earning five Battle Stars during the war.
Image Size: 13.5 x 15.75 in.
Overall Size: 20.5 x 21.75 in.
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through 6 online platforms and shipping can become backlogged, if you would like a list of local shippers please email us directly.
- Our auction catalogs are hosted through multiple online platforms along with phone and in-house bidding. Bids placed on other platforms are not shown through this catalog. Because of this, even if it appears you are the only absentee bid or bidder on a lot, you may already be out bid or may have placed a bid equal to another bidder. Therefore, we always recommend bidding live.