David K. Stone (American, 1922 - 2001) "Liberation of Paris" Signed lower right. Original Oil painting on Masonite.
Provenance: Collection of James A. Helzer (1946-2008), Founder of Unicover Corporation.
This painting originally appeared on the Republic of the Marshall Islands 50c Liberation of Paris 1944 stamp issued August 25, 1994.
The Allied invasion of Normandy on D-Day was merely a prelude to the events that would follow. In the weeks to come, villages and cities across France were liberated from their German conquerors. But Allied planners at first intended to bypass Paris, instead proposing to continue pursuit of the German Army across France. Supreme Commander Dwight Eisenhower changed his mind, however, when informed that Hitler had ordered his forces in Paris to destroy the city. Fortunately, the German commander in Paris, Lieutenant General Dietrich von Choltitz, had no desire to ruin what he considered one of the world's most beautiful cities. Disobeying his orders, he arranged first for a truce with the French Resistance and later surrendered to Allied forces.
Image Size: 15.5 x 25.5 in.
Overall Size: 23.75 x 27 in.
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through 6 online platforms and shipping can become backlogged, if you would like a list of local shippers please email us directly.
- Our auction catalogs are hosted through multiple online platforms along with phone and in-house bidding. Bids placed on other platforms are not shown through this catalog. Because of this, even if it appears you are the only absentee bid or bidder on a lot, you may already be out bid or may have placed a bid equal to another bidder. Therefore, we always recommend bidding live.