Don Balke (North Carolina, B. 1933) "Bald Eagle" Signed lower left. Original Watercolor painting on Illustration Board.
Provenance: Collection of James A. Helzer (1946-2008), Founder of Unicover Corporation.
This painting was published on the Fleetwood First Day Cover of the 10c Graphic Eagle Envelope issued March 10, 1986.
Our living national symbol, the Bald Eagle majestically soars over the lakes and forests of its hunting territory. This lordly raptor's wingspan measures nearly seven feet as it glides effortlessly in search of fish or carrion. Bald Eagles form lifelong bonds with their mates -- returning to the same lakeside aerie year after year. In late spring, the sound of ravenously hungry eaglets fills the nest. Hardly looking like its graceful and striking parents, the buff, down-covered eaglet is helpless. But nine weeks after hatching, the eaglet, using its oversized talons to grasp the limb, makes its first attempt at flight. Soon afterward, the immature eagle leaves the nest to fend for itself. After the fourth or fifth molt, the brownish young Bald Eagle acquires the characteristic white head and tail feathers of an adult. Sadly, this splendid creature is in danger of extinction as man develops the Bald Eagle's habitat. However, with proper protection of known breeding sites, the long-imperiled Bald Eagle is once again appearing in numbers in the lower forty-eight states.
Image Size: 9.75 x 9.75 in.
Overall Size: 19 x 17 in.
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through 6 online platforms and shipping can become backlogged, if you would like a list of local shippers please email us directly.
- Our auction catalogs are hosted through multiple online platforms along with phone and in-house bidding. Bids placed on other platforms are not shown through this catalog. Because of this, even if it appears you are the only absentee bid or bidder on a lot, you may already be out bid or may have placed a bid equal to another bidder. Therefore, we always recommend bidding live.
Available payment options