Gene Boyer (American, 20th C.) "Ben Franklin" Signed lower right. Acrylic on Illustration Board Painting.
Provenance: Collection of James A. Helzer (1946-2008), Founder of Unicover Corporation.
Benjamin Franklin may have been the first true American -- and the most representative, particularly of our more amiable and familiar characteristics. He was the first to use the "American" language as in Poor Richard's Almanac and his Autobiography. He was clearly the first American journalist and humorist. He was the leading American educator; founder of public libraries, the American Philosophical Society, and of the College of Philadelphia -- which later became the University of Pennsylvania -- and he championed a practical American education. He was the leading American scientist of his day, and was gladly welcomed to the most prestigious European Academies where he was always "Doctor Franklin." He was also the first American politician-statesman, and has some claim to being the leading statesman of his generation. His Albany Plan of Union (1754) foreshadowed American Federalism; he helped draft and sign the Articles of the Confederation, and he also represented the United States, in both London and Paris. Above all, Franklin was an irrepressible do-gooder: He could not look at a stove without planning a better stove .. or a school .. or the postal service .. or a constitution; in all these matters he took the lead. It has been said "he wrestled the lightning from the skies and hurled tyrants from their thrones."
Image Size: 9 x 7.5 in.
Overall Size: 18.25 x 16.5 in.
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through 6 online platforms and shipping can become backlogged, if you would like a list of local shippers please email us directly.
- Our auction catalogs are hosted through multiple online platforms along with phone and in-house bidding. Bids placed on other platforms are not shown through this catalog. Because of this, even if it appears you are the only absentee bid or bidder on a lot, you may already be out bid or may have placed a bid equal to another bidder. Therefore, we always recommend bidding live.