Keith Bowen (UK, B. 1950) "European Hare" Signed lower right. Original Chalk on Construction Paper.
Provenance: Collection of James A. Helzer (1946-2008), Founder of Unicover Corporation.
This painting was originally published on the Fleetwood First Day Cover of the Great Britain 24p Wintertime European Hare stamp issued January 14, 1992.
Members of the leporidae family, hares are animals with roots reaching back into the Paleocene era. This familiar long-eared creature is even mentioned in folklore and mythology, for the Germanic earth goddess Ostara favored hares above all other animals. Contrary to some popular thought, hares are not forest or deep woodland creatures. They commonly occur in open terrain and around cultivated fields which yield year-round sustenance for the population. Hares avoid high elevations and cold, moist ground, preferring warm, dry habitats with rich loamy ground coverings. These animals are non-migratory and usually live their lives within a mile or two of their birthplace. Hares are born fully furred and are nursed for two to three weeks thereafter. After weaning, the young hares eat adult fare. Wild hares are strictly herbivorous, and their diet includes green plants, twigs, bark, shrubs and weed seeds. In cultivated areas, hares frequently help themselves to produce such as cabbage, parsley and winter grains. Their eyesight is relatively poor; they can usually detect movement, but little else. Hares depend upon their sharpest senses -- hearing and smell -- to alert them to danger and often stand on their powerful hind legs to test their surroundings.
Image Size: 18 x 21 in.
Overall Size: 22 x 26 in.
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through 6 online platforms and shipping can become backlogged, if you would like a list of local shippers please email us directly.
- Our auction catalogs are hosted through multiple online platforms along with phone and in-house bidding. Bids placed on other platforms are not shown through this catalog. Because of this, even if it appears you are the only absentee bid or bidder on a lot, you may already be out bid or may have placed a bid equal to another bidder. Therefore, we always recommend bidding live.