Kirk Stirnweis (B. 1967) "Bobcat" Signed lower right. Original Oil painting on Illustration Board.
Provenance: Collection of James A. Helzer (1946-2008), Founder of Unicover Corporation.
This painting was originally published on the Fleetwood First Day of Issue Maximum Card of the 22c Bobcat issued on June 13, 1987.
Resembling a common house cat, the Bobcat hunts silently by night through the forests, swamplands, mountains, and deserts of North America. However, this resemblance is only superficial. The Bobcat - named for his characteristically stubby, blak-tipped tail - is a powerful feline weighing some twenty pounds, standing fifteen in tall, and measuring about two feet in length. Its stealth and cunning have earned the Bobcat a reputation as an extraordinary hunter. His shy nature is underscored by the fact that the Bobcat hunts, and usually lives, alone. Bobcat dens are generally found among the rocks and caves or even in hollow logs. Here, the female gives birth to her young, nursing them for two months. Soon, she is leading them on forays into the night, teaching them the ways of the species. Fluffy and playful, the kittens learn quickly the serious side of life in the wild, and by the age of one year, they are ready to go out on their own.
Image Size: 13.5 x 18.25 in.
Overall Size: 17.5 x 21.75 in.
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through 6 online platforms and shipping can become backlogged, if you would like a list of local shippers please email us directly.
- Our auction catalogs are hosted through multiple online platforms along with phone and in-house bidding. Bids placed on other platforms are not shown through this catalog. Because of this, even if it appears you are the only absentee bid or bidder on a lot, you may already be out bid or may have placed a bid equal to another bidder. Therefore, we always recommend bidding live.