Mark Schuler (American, B. 1951) "European Remote Sensing Satellite" Signed lower left. Original Mixed Media painting on Illustration Board.
Provenance: Collection of James A. Helzer (1946-2008), Founder of Unicover Corporation.
This painting was originally published on the Fleetwood First Day Cover for the Great Britain 22p Europe in Space stamp issued April 23, 1991.
Water covers more than seventy percent of the Earth's surface, providing means of transportation and livelihoods to millions of inhabitants. The oceans' sheer volume and impact on the planet's ecosystems have generated decades of scientific study. The polar ice caps -- their stability and effect on surrounding waters -- are the focal point of continual scientific research as well. To provide more sophisticated satellite systems for ocean, coastal, ice and meteorological applications, the European Space Agency (ESA) has developed its first remote-sensing satellite -- the ERS 1. Its mission will be to enhance scientific understanding of and collect data on global ocean processes, including effects on coastal zones and ice regions. Such data will be used to define and develop offshore oil activities, fisheries and maritime navigation while monitoring pollution. Two planned missions in the early 1990s will provide the ESA with data for five to six years. This artwork depicts the ERS 1 high above a polar ice cap.
Image Size: 14.5 x 12.5 in.
Overall Size: 20 x 18 in.
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via WIRE TRANSFER, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- All items are sold as-is where-is and no guarantees are made of any kind. All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through multiple online platforms and shipping can become backlogged, if you would like a list of local shippers please email us directly.
- Our auction catalogs are hosted through multiple online platforms along with phone and in-house bidding. Bids placed on other platforms are not shown through this catalog. Because of this, even if it appears you are the only absentee bid or bidder on a lot, you may already be outbid or may have placed a bid equal to another bidder. Therefore, we always recommend bidding live.
- Unless otherwise stated in the description, all items are sold without additional documentation or COAs. If any supporting documentation is available an image will be available online via the catalog listing.