Morton Roberts (1927 - 1964) Monumental Painting Signed lower right. Oil on Canvas. Image of Men of the Sea bringing in a fishing boat. Note the resemblance to John Kennedy in the face of the central character. The figure furthest to the left resembling a young Robert Kennedy. Most likely used for a magazine story illustration. Roberts received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Yale University in 1950. He went on to serve as an instructor at the Pratt Institute in 1950 and 1954, and then at the National Academy of Design, starting in 1961. He was elected Associate of the National Academy of Design in 1957, becoming a full member in 1958. Awards: Ethel Child Walker Prize, Yale University -Edwin Austin Abbey Fellowship for Mural Painting in America, National Academy of Design, 1950 - Abraham Pinanski Prize, R.A.A., 1952 - O'Hara Purchase Prize - America Water Color Society, 1953 - 2nd Benjamin Altman Prize, National Academy of Design, 1954 - E.J. Towsberg Prize, Royal Academy of Art, 1954 -Ellin Speyer Prize, National Academy of Design, 1955 - Herbert L.Pratt Purchase Prize, America Watercolor Society, 1955 - American Artist Magazine Citation and Medal of Honor, 1955 - 1st Benjamin Altman Prize, National Academy of Design, 1956 -American Watercolor Society Silver Medal, 1956 - Audubon Artist Honorable Mentions, 1957- Thomas B.Clarke Prize, National Academy of Design, 1957 - Ranger Fund Purchase, National Academy of Design, 1960 - Grand Prize for Watercolor of the Year and Gold Medal of Honor, American Watercolor Society, 1959.
Sight Size: 59.5 x 99.25 in. Overall Size: 67.5 x 107 in. (JMT2921)
* By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through 6 online platforms and shipping can become backlogged.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client, and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com