Peter Barrett (British, B. 1935) "Morgan Horse" Signed lower left. Original Watercolor Painting on Illustration Board.
Provenance: Collection of James A. Helzer (1946-2008), Founder of Unicover Corporation.
This painting was originally published on the Fleetwood First Day Cover for the U.S. 22c Morgan Horse stamp issued September 25, 1985.
Unlike most American horses which have developed from the crossing of breeds, the Morgan Horse is descended from a single sire of incredible strength and merit. This horse was orginally named Figure, but is better known as Justin Morgan -- the name of his second owner. The origins of this amazing horse are obscure. However, he was truly one of the world's most remakable horses. Although he was renowned for his strength and endurance, Justin Morgan's horse was relatively small, standing only a little more than 4 1/2 feet tall and weighing around eight hundred pounds. Used to pull the plough to plant crops, clear fields and pull heavy loads, this one small horse literally worked from sunrise until dusk. When not working in the fields, Justin Morgan was matched in demanding weight-pulling contests ... and was raced under saddle and harness -- never to be beaten! The qualities of this one amazing horse were carried on in his offspring establishing one of America's most popular breeds of horses.
Image Size: 8.25 x 11.75 in.
Overall Size: 13.5 x 16.5 in.
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via WIRE TRANSFER, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- All items are sold as-is where-is and no guarantees are made of any kind. All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through multiple online platforms and shipping can become backlogged, if you would like a list of local shippers please email us directly.
- Our auction catalogs are hosted through multiple online platforms along with phone and in-house bidding. Bids placed on other platforms are not shown through this catalog. Because of this, even if it appears you are the only absentee bid or bidder on a lot, you may already be outbid or may have placed a bid equal to another bidder. Therefore, we always recommend bidding live.
- Unless otherwise stated in the description, all items are sold without additional documentation or COAs. If any supporting documentation is available an image will be available online via the catalog listing.