Steve Ferguson (B. 1946) "F-15C Eagle Airplane" Signed lower left. Original Mixed Media on Illustration Board painting.
Provenance: Collection of James A. Helzer (1946-2008), Founder of Unicover Corporation.
This painting was originally published on the Fleetwood Commemorative Cover with the U.S. 29c Flag stamp issued July 27, 1992.
In the early morning hours of January 17, 1991, Capt Robert Graeter, based in Saudi Arabia with the 58th Tactical Fighter Squadron (TFS) of the 33rd Tactical Fighter Wing (TFW), initiated his take-off and guided his F-15 Eagle toward western Iraq. Graeter was flying a fighter sweep over a battlefield area when three French-built Iraqi Mirage F-1 fighters scrambled from a forward dispersal airfield ahead. Graeter locked his radar onto the bandit and fired one "Sparrow" air-to-air missile at his target. A huge fireball confirmed the direct hit. Fifteen seconds later, the second bandit plummeted into the ground and exploded. The remaining Mirage turned tail and ran. Although a pilot from the 1st TFW was credited with the first air-to-air hit of the war, the pilots of the 58th TFS were the highest scoring squadron of the Persian Gulf War.
Image Size: 16.5 x 13.75 in.
Overall Size: 20 x 15 in.
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through 6 online platforms and shipping can become backlogged, if you would like a list of local shippers please email us directly.
- Our auction catalogs are hosted through multiple online platforms along with phone and in-house bidding. Bids placed on other platforms are not shown through this catalog. Because of this, even if it appears you are the only absentee bid or bidder on a lot, you may already be out bid or may have placed a bid equal to another bidder. Therefore, we always recommend bidding live.