Thomas Koether (New York, Florida, Europe, Australia, b. 1940) Abstract Painting. Titled: "Moonlit Mountain" Dated: '96 Oil on Panel. Signed lower right / signed, dated, titled and sized verso.
Overall Size: 18 x 23 in. (233 - 4305)
In 1960, Koether was accepted to the school of the Art Institute of Chicago at age 20. In 1963 Koether Moved to New York City and started going to the Art Students League. In June of 1966 he graduated with honors from N.Y.U. and was accepted to the N.Y.U. graduate school of Communications Arts in Cinematography under Haig Manoogian. In 1970, he moved to Paris to take a studio space at the American Center on Boulevard Raspail. In July of ’71 Koether went to Italy and did a lot of drawing and watercolors. In Florence he met Italian art restorers and learned a lot about restoration from them. That same year, he participated in a group show at the American Center and sold several pieces – one to director Henry Pillsbury. The work from Ibiza and Paris dealt with attempts to delineate abstraction as a form with his own experience of his own abstractness – landscapes and still-lives of his own psychic and emotional space. This work has a post-psychedelic aspect. In 1974 Koether moved back to New York and worked in N.Y.C. as an art restorer with Roger Ricco Associates. That year, he had a one man show at Ajanta Gallery on East 9th Street. In 1976, Koether moved to Australia and established an art conservation business and worked on the 5 major collections of Oceanic art in Australia.
ONE PERSON SHOWS
2001 SRQ ON MAIN, Sarasota, Florida
1996 TAMPA ELECTRIC CO., TECO PLAZA, Tampa, July 1 – July 31, Marilyn Mars, Curator
1995 KOETHER – NEW OILS, Nations Bank Executive Headquarters, Sarasota, Florida
1993 MATRIX, Renegade Gallery, East Hampton, New York
1992 KOETHER, A NEW EDGE, Renegade Gallery, East Hampton, New York
1989 AUSTRALIAN ROCK AND WATER, Gochenhaur Gallery, Delray Beach, Florida
1987 TOM KOETHER, EXPATRIATE PAINTINGS, Curator: Nick Pearson, Ashawagh Hall, East Hampton, NY
1988 KOETHER, Recent work from New York, Cape Gallery, Byron Bay, N.S.W., Australia
1986 TOM KOETHER, RECENT PAINTINGS, AUSTRALIAN EXPERIENCE, Ashawagh Hall, East Hampton NY
1985 PAINTINGS FROM EAST HAMPTON, Curators: Dane Dixon and Steve Loschen, Ashawagh Hall, NY
1983 KOETHER, Outback Australian Gallery, Curator: Gate Fynn, 382 W. Broadway, New York, NY
1974 AJANTA GALLERY, New York, New York
1973 St. Croix, Virgin Islands
1972 St. Croix, Virgin Islands
1971 Ars Bar, Ibiza, Spain
1970 Ars Bar, Ibiza, Spain
1969 Ars Bar, Ibiza, Spain
1969 KOETHER, DRAWINGS, Mahogany Inn, St. Croix, Virgin Islands
SELECTED GROUP AND JURIED SHOWS
2002 TOM KOETHER, STEVE LOSCHEN RECENT PAINTINGS, Ashawagh Hall, East Hampton, NY
1996 Represented by KLABAL GALLERY, 363 12th Avenue South, Naples, Florida
1995 ART FOR LIFE, Juried Voice Auction, Jurors Marilyn Mars, Arts Impact, and Emily Kass, Exec Director, Tampa Museum
1994 SARASOTA VISUAL ARTS CENTER, Autumn Annual, Juror Tiffani Szilage, St. Petersburg Center for the Arts, Exhibition Coordinator, St. Petersburg, Florida
1994 GREATER TAMPA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, Executive Exhibition, Juror Marilyn Mars, Arts Impact, Tampa, Florida
1994 KOETHER, ASHAWAGH ’94, Loschen, Najdzionek, Strong/Cuevas, Grove, and Briscoe, East Hampton, NY
1992 SOUTH COBB ART ALLIANCE 7TH NATIONAL JURIED ART EXHIB., Juror: Larry Walker, Prof. of Art at Georgia-State University
1991 KOETHER, GOCHENOUR, Ashawagh Hall, East Hampton, New York
1990 KOETHER, LOSCHEN, Ashawagh Hall, East Hampton, New York
1990 FICKERA, KOETHER, LAWRENCE, Ashawagh Hall, East Hampton, New York
1989 FICKERA, KOETHER, LAWRENCE, Ashawagh Hall, East Hampton, New York
1989 M. CAIN SCULPTURE TOM KOETHER, STEVE LOSCHEN, PAINTINGS, Ashawagh Hall, East Hampton, New York
1989 DRAWING THE LINE, Curator: Kay Jeffed, Tweed River Regional Art Gallery, Murwilumbha, Australia
1989 BLOSSOMS, The Gallery at Bryant Library, Roslyn, New York
1988 HUNTINGTON TOWN ART LEAGUE ANNUAL, Huntington, New York
1988 BEYOND STATUS QUO, The Gallery at Bryant Library, Roslyn, New York
1988 WATER, WATER EVERYWHERE, The Gallery at Bryant Library, Roslyn, New York
1988 EGBERT, KOETHER, LOSCHEN, LAWRENCE, Ashawagh Hall, East Hampton, New York
1987 EGBERT, KOETHER, LOSCHEN, LAWRENCE, Ashawagh Hall, East Hampton, New York
1986 PLASTO GALLERY, Mullumbimby, N.S.W., Australia
1986 SOUTHPORT ART SHOW, Southport, Queensland, Australia
1986 GOLD COAST CITY ART INVITATIONAL, Gold Coast City Art Prize, purchase, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
1985 ST. ALBANS COLLEGE EXHIBITION, Honorable mention, Southport, Australia
1985 N.P.U. QUEENSLAND EXHIBITION, purchase price, Cape Gallery, Bryon Bay, N.S.W., Australia
1971 LE CENTER AMERICAN, Paris, France
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through 6 online platforms and shipping can become backlogged, if you would like a list of local shippers please email us directly.
- Our auction catalogs are hosted through multiple online platforms along with phone and in-house bidding. Bids placed on other platforms are not shown through this catalog. Because of this, even if it appears you are the only absentee bid or bidder on a lot, you may already be out bid or may have placed a bid equal to another bidder. Therefore, we always recommend bidding live.