LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY CAST-IRON ANDIRONS, PAIR, Caduceus-type design with intertwined snakes and flori-form finial, original log supports bolted to rear, one marked "LITHGOW MF'G. CO" on top of support. The Lithgow Manufacturing Co., Louisville, KY. Circa 1875. 16" H, 15" LOA, 9 1/4" W at feet. Provenance: Property of a Shenandoah Valley private collector. Catalogue Note: According to Wikipedia James Smith Lithgow (1812-1902) was an American politician, and the sixteenth Mayor of Louisville, Kentucky serving from January 2, 1866 to February 14, 1867. He was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and apprenticed as a coppersmith there. He moved to Louisville in 1832 and worked various jobs before starting Wallace & Lithgow, a metals company on Market Street in 1836. The business was successful, and made Lithgow wealthy. After the death of his partner in 1861, the company became J. S. Lithgow and Co. and built its headquarters at what became the Board of Trade Building, initially one of the largest and most expensive buildings in Downtown Louisville. Lithgow lost both the building and his business in the Panic of 1873, but he regained his fortune with a new company, Lithgow Manufacturing Co.
Good as-found condition with some rust, one lacking support bolt, other support bolt is loose.