WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA DECORATED STONEWARE JUG, salt-glazed, stenciled "3" gallon capacity, semi-ovoid form with ringed mouth and strap handle. Stenciled cobalt "T. D. HARDEN" above a large shield-breast spread-wing eagle holding a banner in his mouth and clutching arrows in his talons, and "PALATINE, W. VA" at base, leaves flanking the capacity designation. Circa 1875. 16 1/2" H. Provenance: The collection of Ronnie and Neal Kite of Esmont, VA.
Bottom restored/reassembled, two T-shape cracks off base and across lower lettering, dark staining to lower body.