An important side cabinet by Charles Nosotti, one of the most significant suppliers of mirrors and furniture in London in the middle of the nineteenth century.
This striking d shaped cabinet is ebonised and gilded with a mirror back superstructure and shelves, flanked by four Pompeian fluted columns adorned with foliage and acanthus leaf carvings, the apron has a central scollop shell and scroll carvings, sitting on neoclassical feet.
Charles Andrea Nosotti is listed as a carver, gilder, upholsterer and cabinetmaker at 2 Dean Street, Soho, from 1835-1840, although he appears to have set up a 'looking glass manufactory' in 1831. Almost certainly born in Milan, his high standard of workmanship led him to exhibit a giltwood cabinet at the 1862 London Exhibition that he had made for the Countess of Waldegrave's drawing room at Strawberry Hill. The cabinet is illustrated in J. Meyer, Great Exhibitions 1851-1900, London, 2006, p.167. Further commissions came from the millionaire industrialist John Allcroft at Stokesay Court, Shropshire. Nosotti advertised furniture in the Art Journal Catalogue of the International Exhibition, 1867, noting that his firm enjoyed the patronage of the Princess of Wales. He later collaborated with the leading Victorian makers Howard and Sons and this piece certainly has the hallmarks of this collaboration.
A notable collaborative piece was sold at Sotheby's lot 136 28/08/1994
Literature: Graham Child, World Mirror 1650-1900 p.22
J. Meyer, Great Exhibitions 1851-1900, London, 2006, p.167.
H 36.23 in. x W 70.87 in. x D 20.08 in.
H 92 cm x W 180 cm x D 51 cm