Two Chinese Export Figural Decorated Wood Tea Caddies, circa 1804, originally owned by Captain James Cary, Master and half-owner of the Ship Rose. Painted in red and black, the 1st with three Chinese figures on front, water lilies on sides, river landscape on reverse, and fruit on the lid, inside are two pewter compartments to hold tea. The 2nd with two Chinese figures on front, river and mountain landscape on reverse, and fruit decoration on lid and sides, inside is an open box with a single pewter covered compartment to hold tea.
Height 10 ½ in. Width 12 ½ in. Depth 9 ½ in.
Illustrated: The Decorative Arts and Crafts of Nantucket, Charles H. Carpenter, Jr. and Mary Grace Carpenter. Plate LXIXX, with details pgs 212-213
Items may have wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging. Please contact the gallery for further details prior to bidding. Any condition statement given as a courtesy should not be treated as fact.