Six Elderton bottles, vintage 1999.
Category: Cabernet Sauvignon red wine. Nurioopta, Barossa Valley (Australia).
The vineyard was first planted on the banks of the North Para River in Nuriootpa in 1894 by early German settlers, the Scholz family. In 1916, it was purchased by Samuel Elderton Tolley, who named the estate 'Elderton'. In 1980 Lorraine and Neil Ashmead bought the old property and worked tirelessly to rescue and restore the vineyard. In 1982 the first wine was produced under the Elderton label. Difficult times prevailed, but eventually, the vision of the founders shone through and today Elderton is celebrated as one of the main reasons for the rejuvenation of Barossa. In 1993, Elderton shot to national fame by winning the Jimmy Watson Trophy. International success followed. The second generation took over the business in 2003. Brothers Cameron and Allister believe strongly in carrying on the traditions that began a generation earlier, in the Nuriootpa vineyard. Determined to take the family business to the next level, together they conceived a plan to buy large vineyards in other important secondary Barossa appellations.