Samuel Walters (British, 1811-1882)
Sam Dunning in Beaumaris Bay near Point Lynas Lighthouse
Unsigned, the ship identified on the bow.
Oil on canvas, 30 x 44 in., in a molded giltwood frame.
Condition: Relined, inpainting mostly to edges.
Provenance: An old typed sticker on the frame reads: "Property of -- LAURENCE S. JOHNSON." More information affixed to the reverse indicates that prior to 2014, this painting was owned by Henry M. Faxton, whose collection had been "on loan to the Peabody." Now in the collection of Judge Jon Tom Staton, Edmond, Oklahoma.
The Sam Dunning was built in Brunswick, Maine, in 1854. Here she is depicted making her way to Liverpool. From her mizzen she is displaying the Marryat Code flag hoist (3rd distinguished pendant 4615); she flies the "pilot jack" from her foremast requesting a pilot to take her into Liverpool. Off her bow is the Victoria and Albert No. 5 pilot schooner, flying the "blue peter" telling the Sam Dunning that there is a pilot aboard who will soon come aboard the ship and bring them safely into harbor.
The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging. Condition requests can be obtained via email (lot inquiry button) or by telephone to the appropriate gallery location (Boston/617.350.5400 or Marlborough/508.970.3000). Any condition statement given, as a courtesy to a client, is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Skinner Inc. shall have no responsibility for any error or omission.