A Grenadier Guards levee sword with integral regimental flaming bomb/grenade badge in plated steel guard by Wilkinson numbered 35434 on spine. Sword is 38" oa length with 32.5" blade with regimental battle honors and initials "B.L.G."etched in heavily nickled narrow blade. Grip is rayskin bound with silver wire. Wilkinson archive letter confirms that "BGL" was the Honorable B. Gordon Lennox, Grenadier Guards, who purchased the sword on December 17, 1897. Sword is sold with original brown leather field service scabbard and leather acorn knot wrapped around base of hilt.
Commissioned into the tony Grenadier Guards in February 1898, Lieutenant Lord Bernard Charles Gordon-Lennox (1878-1914) saw immediate service in South Africa in 1899-1900 taking part in operations in Orange Wittebergen and earning both the QSA Medal (three Clasps) and KSA Medal (two clasps). He was promoted to captain in January 1905 and seconded to the Chinese Regiment in 1908. On the eve of the First World War Lord Bernard became Major of the 2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards and went to France. At age 36 he was killed in action at Bodmin Copse near Ypres on November 10, 1914 and is commemorated in the Chapel by the St. Michael Window. He was the third son of the 7th Duke of Richmond and Gordon and is buried in Zillebeke Churchyard, Belgium. Sold with photocopied research and a Wilkinson Archives letter testifying to the sword's ownership.