Attributed to John Hughes (British, 1806-1878/80)
Two Liverpool Pilot Boats Depicted in Beaumaris Bay Near Point Lynas
Oil on canvas, 20 x 29 1/2 in., in a gilt-gesso frame.
Condition: Lined, with some inpainting.
Note: Point Lynas was the main station of the Liverpool Pilot Service, where incoming ships would pick up a pilot who would bring their vessels safely into harbor. The ship on the left has the "pilot jack" flying from her foremast, requesting a pilot. The brig closest to the shore is also flying the "pilot jack," requesting a pilot as well.
The Liverpool No. 1 pilot sloop was built by William Dickerson & Co. in 1834 and sold and removed from the pilot service in 1856. Pilot No. 11 is a cutter, and is flying the blue peter indicating that she has pilots aboard ready to be of service. The exact identity of the pilot No. 11 is difficult to precisely establish. She is either the Mersey built in 1816 and sold in 1847 or she is the Mersey built in 1847 and replaced in 1878. Both vessels were square-sterned and of similar dimensions.
Special thanks to Charles Lanagan for his in-depth research in to the vessels depicted in this painting.
Provenance: A privated Massachusetts collection.
Relined, subtle inpainting in some of the clouds and sails of the central boat.
The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging. Condition requests can be obtained via email (lot inquiry button) or by telephone to the appropriate gallery location (Boston/617.350.5400 or Marlborough/508.970.3000). Any condition statement given, as a courtesy to a client, is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Skinner Inc. shall have no responsibility for any error or omission.