Jean Paul Laurens (France, 1838-1921) Large oil on canvas painting. Faintly inscribed lower right. Signed and indistinctly dated lower right. Oil on canvas, painting has been re-lined. Laurens was a major Salon painter of French historical scenes and one of the Parisian art teachers who attracted two American students to his private studio, according to Weinberg (1991, p. 156): Frederic Porter Vinton, and Charles Yardley Turner (1850-1919). At least sixty more, however, would have benefitted from his instruction at the Academie Julian, where he could be found beginning in 1884. In fact, Laurens was the most sought after French teacher among Americans. Alphaeus Cole (1976, p. 114) stated that Laurens stressed the study of anatomy: "He considered it a most important asset to an artist's knowledge, especially when drawing figures in action from imagination." Laurens was commissioned to paint numerous public works by the French Third Republic, including the steel vault of the Paris City Hall, the monumental series on the life of Saint Genevieve in the apse of the Pantheon, the decorated ceiling of the Odeon Theater, and the hall of distinguished citizens at the Toulouse capitol. He also provided illustrations for Augustin Thierry's Recits des temps merovingiens ("Accounts of Merovingian Times"). Laurens was highly respected teacher at the Acad?mie Julian, Paris, and a professor at the Ecole nationale superieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris, where he taught Andr? Dunoyer de Segonzac and George Barbier.
Sight Size: 37.5 x 26 in.
Overall Framed Size: 44 x 32 in.
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through multiple online platforms and shipping can become backlogged, if you would like a list of local shippers please email us directly.
- Our auction catalogs are hosted through multiple online platforms along with phone and in-house bidding. Bids placed on other platforms are not shown through this catalog. Because of this, even if it appears you are the only absentee bid or bidder on a lot, you may already be outbid or may have placed a bid equal to another bidder. Therefore, we always recommend bidding live.