"The Judge" Theodule Augustin Ribot (France, 1823 - 1891) Oil on cradled panel painting of figures in an interior setting. Exhibition labels verso. Signed lower right. Debuting at the Salon of 1861, Theodule Ribot received medals in 1864 and 1865, as well as a third class medal in 1878, the same year in which he received the Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur. In addition to the Paris exhibitions, Ribot also showed works in Amsterdam, Munich, Vienna and numerous provincial Salons. Ribot was one of the founders of the Salon du Champs de Mars, along with Alphonse Legros, Henri Fantin-Latour, and James McNeill Abbott Whistler. Like these artists, Ribot shared an admiration for Gustave Courbet and Realism. In addition, his works show an affinity with seventeenth-century Dutch and Spanish painting, especially Ribera and Franz Hals. Known as an artist who took an independent approach to his trade, in 1884 a group of friends, including Fantin-Latour, Jules Bastien-Lepage, J. C. Cazin, Fran?ois Raffa?lli, and Claude Monet gave him a medal of honor inscribed: A Th?odule Ribot, le peintre independant. As a painter of a myriad of subjects including genre, history, still lifes, and portraits, Ribot shows a rich concern with the effects of painting plein air and the psychological effects of contrasts between darks and lights.
Sight Size: 17.5 x 24.5 in.
Overall Size: 25.75 x 33 in.
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via WIRE TRANSFER, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- All items are sold as-is where-is and no guarantees are made of any kind. All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through multiple online platforms and shipping can become backlogged, if you would like a list of local shippers please email us directly.
- Our auction catalogs are hosted through multiple online platforms along with phone and in-house bidding. Bids placed on other platforms are not shown through this catalog. Because of this, even if it appears you are the only absentee bid or bidder on a lot, you may already be outbid or may have placed a bid equal to another bidder. Therefore, we always recommend bidding live.
- Unless otherwise stated in the description, all items are sold without additional documentation or COAs. If any supporting documentation is available an image will be available online via the catalog listing.