Simpson Galleries has been working with individuals, corporations, estate executors, families, and arts organizations to gather a high quality selection of offerings for our two day Fall Fine Art & Antiques Auction event, to be held on September 21st and 22nd at our saleroom in Houston. The auction presented in this catalog is a wonderful assemblage of art, decorative arts, 20th century design, jewelry, and collectibles that have been closely researched and described by our team of specialists.
Simpson Galleries strives to present auctions of interest to every level of bidder with varied tastes for treasures from around the world - as well as from right here in Texas. Property from three major corporate collections feature beautiful antique textiles, art, furniture, and important maps - most notably an exceedingly rare auction opportunity to acquire the 1862 first revised version of Pressler's Map of the State of Texas.
A selection of European avant-garde and German Expressionist printmaking from the collection of the family of famed collector Ismar Littmann includes rare examples from Manet, Renoir, Kollwitz, and a compilation following the career of influential artist Max Pechstein. Texas and regional art is well represented in the auction with outstanding works by Anthony DeYoung, Porfirio Salinas, Robert Wood, Frank Reaugh, Charles Umlauf - and more recent artists Dorothy Hood, Basilios Poulos, Billy Hassell, John Alexander, Ida Kohlmeyer, and George Rodrique. Of course there are also traditional paintings by American and European masters, such as Édouard Cortés, Robert Reid, Thomas Moran, and William Keith.
We welcome bidders to experience the auction offerings in person during our preview exhibition to be held in our Houston gallery Monday, September 16th through Friday, September 20th.
Houston, TX 77057
**SIMPSON GALLERIES, LLC. DOES NOT PROVIDE SHIPPING SERVICES OR SHIPPING QUOTES.**
Shipping may be secured through -
The UPS Store: email@example.com 281-764-9551,
The UPS Store: firstname.lastname@example.org 713-334-8869,
PACK-N-SEND: email@example.com 713-266-1450,
ACTS Crating and Transportation Services: firstname.lastname@example.org 713-869-2269,
NAVIS Pack & Ship: email@example.com 713-352-3038,
Wintersteen Trucking: firstname.lastname@example.org 800-253-0617,
or the shipper of your choice.
Terms & Conditions
*SIMPSON GALLERIES, LLC. DOES NOT PROVIDE SHIPPING SERVICES OR SHIPPING QUOTES. WE CAN REFER SUCCESSFUL BIDDERS TO A NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL SHIPPER*
**PAYMENT MUST BE MADE WITHIN FIVE WORKING DAYS OF THE SALE. PAYMENTS MAY BE MADE IN CASH (In House Only) OR BY PERSONAL CHECK, CASHIER'S CHECK, CREDIT CARD (Credit card payment accepted up to a maximum amount of $5,000) OR BANK WIRE TRANSFER. WE DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL OR AMERICAN EXPRESS**
***ALL SALES ARE "AS IS" "WHERE IS" WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER. PLEASE SEE SECTIONS 2, 7, AND 8 BELOW IN WHICH ANY AND ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY WARRANTY AGAINST REDHIBITORY DEFECTS) ARE WAIVED.***
1. Terms: cash, personal check, cashier's check, Master Card, Visa, or Discover (credit card payment accepted up to a maximum amount of $5,000).
2. SIMPSON GALLERIES, LLC, (hereinafter referred to as Simpson Galleries), has endeavored to catalogue and describe the property correctly; however, all property is sold "as is" "where is" and neither Simpson Galleries nor its consignors will be responsible for the description, genuineness, provenance, or condition of the property. All weights and dimensions are to be considered approximate. No statement contained in the catalogue, or made orally at the sale or elsewhere, shall be deemed to be such a warranty, representation, or an assumption of liability. ALL SALES ARE FINAL. NO REFUNDS.
3. In regard to the works of art contained in the catalogue, Simpson Galleries has endeavored to correctly describe and attribute authorship to the best of their knowledge and ability and through the use of outside experts; however, since authentication and/or attribution is a matter of scholarship and therefore subject to change, Simpson Galleries does not make any express or implied warranties, guarantees, or representations and strongly suggests that prior to bidding the buyer avail himself of his own expert, appraiser, or authenticator and rely solely on his advice or judgment.
4. The highest bidder acknowledged by the auctioneer shall be the purchaser. In the event of any dispute between bidders, the auctioneer shall have absolute discretion either to determine the successful bidder, in which event his determination shall be final, or to re-offer and re-sell the article in dispute. If any dispute arises after the sale, Simpson Galleries' sale record shall be conclusive as to who was the purchaser, the amount of the highest bid, and in all other respects.
5. Floor bids take precedence over any other bids regardless of date or time placed. The live auction console does not differentiate between left bids and live bids; therefore, the date and/or time a particular bid is placed has no bearing on which bid is accepted by the auctioneer. Any bidding service offered by Simpson Galleries, (whether it be absentee, phone, or live bidding), is done so as a courtesy. Simpson Galleries is not responsible for errors or for the failure to execute any bid for any reason.
6. No properties purchased during auction may be removed prior to end of session.
7. Defects are not necessarily noted in the catalogue.
8. NO WARRANTY, WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, IS MADE WITH RESPECT TO ANY DESCRIPTION CONTAINED IN THIS AUCTION. Any description of the items contained in this auction is for the sole purpose of identifying the items, and no description of items has been made part of the basis of the bargain or has created any express warranty that the goods would conform to any description made by the Auctioneer.
9. All shipping charges will be borne by the successful bidder. Purchased property must be collected within 14 days following the auction. Property not collected within 14 days of the close of the auction will be subject to a storage fee equal to 1.5% of the hammer price per day. Property not collected within 60 days of the close of the auction will be considered abandoned and any monies paid to Simpson Galleries by the purchaser will be considered liquidated damages.
10. A premium of 22.5% of the purchaser's bid will be added and is payable as part of the total price.
11. Placing a bid will indicate full understanding of and compliance with these conditions of sale.
Auctioneer - Ray Simpson, Lic. 6899.