John Swatsley (American, B. 1937) "Bald Eagle" Signed lower right. Original oil on Illustration Board.
Provenance: Collection of James A. Helzer (1946-2008), Founder of Unicover Corporation.
This painting appeared on the Fleetwood First Day Cover for the U.S. 14c (D) Official Mail stamp issued February 4, 1985.
To men of every age, the eagle has been the embodiment of freedom and power. Indeed, from Native American Indians to the most noble rulers of Europe, this magnificent bird has always symbolized greatness. The eagle has been borne on the standards of many of the strongest armies in the world .. each soldier striving to be bold and courageous like the mighty eagle. For, when it comes to strength and power, few if any other birds can compete with the eagle. Among America's birds the eagles are second in size only to the enormous California Condor. Yet, despite its large size, the eagle's flight is among the most graceful of all birds. The United States chose the Bald Eagle as its symbol because it vividly represents the freedom and character of the nation. With its prominent white head and tail feathers, the Bald Eagle presents a most striking and noble appearance.
Image Size: 14 x 12 in.
Overall Size: 20.25 x 18 in.
- By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through 6 online platforms and shipping can become backlogged, if you would like a list of local shippers please email us directly.
- Our auction catalogs are hosted through multiple online platforms along with phone and in-house bidding. Bids placed on other platforms are not shown through this catalog. Because of this, even if it appears you are the only absentee bid or bidder on a lot, you may already be out bid or may have placed a bid equal to another bidder. Therefore, we always recommend bidding live.