Available payment options
Guernsey's does not provide in-house packing and shipping services. Shipping, handling and insurance costs are the responsibility of the winning bidder. The majority of lots are being sold FOB Hamburg, Germany, and a lesser number of lots are being sold FOB Halifax, Canada. The description of each lot will indicate where the item is located, and from which country shipping to the successful winning bidder can be arranged. Should you wish to learn more about your shipping options, please contact Guernsey's by email at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the auction.
Terms & Conditions
NOTE: The majority of lots are being sold FOB Hamburg, Germany, and a lesser number of lots are being sold FOB Halifax, Canada. The description of each lot will indicate where the item is located, and from which country shipping to the successful winning bidder can be arranged.
This catalogue, as amended by any posted notices during the sale, together with the purchaser's registration statement, is Guernsey's and the Consigner's entire agreement with the purchaser relative to the property listed herein. The following conditions of sale are the only terms and conditions by which all properties are offered for sale. The property will be offered by us as the agent for the Consigner unless the catalogue indicates otherwise. By bidding at auction, whether present in person or by agent, by written bid, telephone, internet or by other means, the buyer agrees to be bound by these Conditions of Sale.
1. ALL PROPERTIES ARE SOLD AS IS, AND NEITHER WE NOR THE CONSIGNER MAKE ANY WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS WITH RESPECT TO ANY LOT SOLD INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE CORRECTNESS OF THE CATALOGUE OR OTHER DESCRIPTION OF THE ORIGIN, PHYSICAL CONDITION, SIZE, QUALITY, RARITY, ATTRIBUTION, AUTHORSHIP, IMPORTANCE, MEDIUM, PROVENANCE, EXHIBITIONS, LITERATURE OR HISTORICAL RELEVANCE OF THE PROPERTY, AND NO STATEMENT ANYWHERE, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, SHALL BE DEEMED SUCH A WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION. ALL SIZES LISTED ARE APPROXIMATE AND LISTED IN INCHES, UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED. PROSPECTIVE BIDDERS SHOULD THOROUGHLY REVIEW THE DESCRIPTION AND PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE PROPERTY BEFORE BIDDING TO DETERMINE ITS CONDITION, SIZE, AND WHETHER OR NOT IT HAS BEEN REPAIRED OR RESTORED. WE AND THE CONSIGNOR DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. NO WARRANTIES ARE MADE THAT ANY OF THE MERCHANDISE COMPLIES WITH ANY APPLICABLE GOVERNMENTAL RULES, REGULATIONS OR ORDINANCES OF ANY KIND OR NATURE WHATSOEVER. NEITHER GUERNSEY'S AS AGENT NOR THE CONSIGNER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY FAULTS OR DEFECTS IN ANY LOT OR THE CORRECTNESS OF ANY STATEMENT AS TO ANY ORIGIN, AUTHORSHIP, DATE, AGE, ATTRIBUTION, GENUINENESS, PROVENANCE OR CONDITION OF ANY LOT. Any description of the items contained in this Auction is for the sole purpose of identifying the items prior to bidding, and no description of items has been made part of the basis of the bargain or has created any express warranty that the goods would conform to any description made by Auctioneer. No statement by anyone or in the catalogue, in any advertisement, or which is made at the sale, in the bill of sale or invoice, or elsewhere, shall be deemed such a warranty or representation or an assumption of liability. IN THE EVENT OF ANY CONFLICT BETWEEN A DESCRIPTION AND THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, THE TERMS OF CONDITIONS SHALL CONTROL. NO DESCRIPTION IS INTENDED TO, OR SHALL, NEGATE OR LIMIT THE DISCLAIMERS SET FORTH HEREIN. In all cases, prospective buyers are responsible for determining the physical condition of lots, as there are no returns based on condition. The conditions stated in the catalog entry are based on opinion only and are provided for guidance only, without legal obligation. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging. Information regarding condition can be requested prior to the auction by contacting Guernsey’s by email to email@example.com. Any condition statement given, as a courtesy to a client, is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. WITHOUT IN ANY WAY WAIVING THE FOREGOING, ANY COMPLAINT REGARDING AUTHENTICITY, GENUINENESS, ATTRIBUTION OR PROVENANCE SHALL BE MADE WITHIN TWENTY-FIVE (25) DAYS OF THE DAY OF SALE OR SUCH COMPLAINT SHALL BE WAIVED. ALL BIDDERS ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR RIGHT TO HAVE MADE OR REQUESTED FULL INSPECTION OF ANY AND ALL PROPERTIES PRIOR TO SALE AND AGREE TO BE CHARGED WITH ALL MATTERS SUCH INSPECTION MAY HAVE DISCLOSED OR INDICATED.
2. A buyer’s premium of 25% will be added to the hammer price of all lots in the sale and is payable by the purchaser as part of the total purchase price.
3. We reserve the right to withdraw any property before the sale.
4. Unless otherwise announced by the auctioneer, all bids are per lot as numbered in the catalogue.
5. All bids placed, and all payments made must be in U.S. dollars drawn on a U.S. Bank.
6. Payments are due promptly and within 10 days of receipt of invoice. Acceptable forms of payment are Wire Transfer, Bank Cheque, or PayPal. All payments must be in U.S. Dollars. For bank information to pay by Wire Transfer, please email Susan Jaffe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. We reserve the right to reject any bid. The highest bidder, acknowledged by the auctioneer, will be the purchaser. In the event of a dispute between bidders, or in the event of doubt on our part as to the validity of any bid, the auctioneer will have the final discretion whether to determine the successful bidder or to re-offer and resell the article in dispute. If any dispute arises after the sale, our sale records are conclusive. Although in our discretion, we will execute other order bids or accept telephone bids as a convenience to clients who are unable to participate online, we are not responsible for any errors or omissions in connection therewith.
8. If the auctioneer decides that any opening bid is below the value of the article offered, he or she may reject the same and withdraw the article from sale, and if having acknowledged on opening bid, he or she decides that any advance thereafter is insufficient, he or she may reject the advance.
9. Some lots may be offered subject to a reserve, which is the confidential minimum price below which such a lot will not be sold. We may implement such reserves by bidding on behalf of the Consignor. In certain instances the Consignor may pay us less than the standard commission rate where a lot is “bought in” to protect its reserve. Where the Consignor is indebted to us or has a monetary guarantee from us, and in certain other instances where we or any affiliated companies may have an interest in the offered lots and the proceeds there from other than our commission, we may bid therefore to protect such interests. Guernsey’s may act to protect the reserve by bidding through the auctioneer. The auctioneer may open bidding on any lot below the reserve by placing a bid on behalf of the seller. The auctioneer may continue to bid on behalf of the seller up to the amount of the reserve either by placing consecutive bids or by placing bids in response to other bidders.
10. On the fall of the auctioneer's hammer, title to the offered lot will pass to the highest bidder acknowledged by the auctioneer, subject to fulfillment by such bidder, of all the conditions set forth herein, and such bidder thereupon a) assumes full risk and responsibility thereof, but not limited to, insurance, fire, theft, removal and storage or damage from any and all causes, and b) will pay the full purchase price thereof or such part as we may require. In addition to other remedies available to us by law, we reserve the right to impose a late charge of 1 1/2% per month of the total purchase price if payment is not made in accordance with the conditions set forth herein. REGARDING ANY PURCHASER WHO IS REPRESENTED BY A BIDDER: BIDDERS ARE PERSONALLY AND INDIVIDUALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OBLIGATIONS OF THE PURCHASER SET FORTH IN THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE. If any applicable conditions herein are not complied with by the purchaser, in addition to other remedies available to us and the Consigner by law, including, without limitation, the right to hold the purchaser liable for the total purchase price, we at our option may either, a) cancel the sale, retaining as liquidated damages all payments made by the purchaser, or b) resell the property at public auction without reserve, and the purchaser will be liable for any deficiency costs including handling charges, the expenses of both sales, our commissions on both sales at our regular rates, reasonable attorney's fees, incidental damages, and all other charges due hereunder. In the event that such a buyer pays a portion of the purchase price for any or all lots purchased, Guernsey's shall apply the payment received to such lot or lots that Guernsey's, in its sole discretion deems appropriate. In the case of default, purchaser shall be liable for legal fees and expenses. In addition, a defaulting purchaser will be deemed to have granted us a security interest in, and we may retain as collateral security for such purchaser's obligations to us, any property in our possession owned by such purchaser. We shall have the rights afforded a secured party under the New York Uniform Commercial Code with respect to such property and we may apply against such obligations all monies held or received by us for the account of, due from us to, such purchaser. At our option, payment will not be deemed to have been made in full until we have collected funds represented by checks, or, in the case of bank or cashier's checks, we have confirmed their authenticity. Upon collection of funds, purchaser shall receive a bill of sale for the concerned items of merchandise.
11. Unless exempted by law, the purchaser will be responsible for paying any applicable tax including any VAT, sales or compensating use tax or equivalent tax wherever such taxes may arise on the hammer price and the buyer’s premium.
12. These Terms and Conditions of Sale as well as the purchaser's and our respective rights and obligations thereunder shall be governed by and construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of New York. By bidding at an auction, whether present in person or by agent, order bid, telephone or by other means, the purchaser shall be deemed to have consented to the exclusive jurisdiction of the State of New York, with exclusive venue in the County of New York.
13. We are not responsible for the act or omissions of carriers or packers of purchased lots, whether or not recommended by us. Packing and handling of purchased lots by us is at the entire risk of the purchaser. In no event will our liability to a purchaser exceed the purchase price actually paid.
14. Estimates do not represent any opinion or guarantee of actual value or ultimate sale price. Actual prices realized for items can fall below or above this range. They should not be relied upon as a prediction or guarantee of the actual selling price. They are prepared well in advance of the sale and are subject to revision.
15. Should any disputes arise pertaining to purchases at this auction or any other matters relating to the auction, such disputes shall be brought in the courts of the State of New York. Venue shall be within the County of New York.
16. Any claim regarding a purchase must be made by the successful bidder to Guernsey's, in writing, in an email to email@example.com, within 25 days of the final day of the live auction. Thereafter, all claims shall be time-barred. It is Guernsey’s general policy, and Guernsey’s has the right to have the purchaser obtain, at the purchaser’s expense, the opinion of two recognized experts in the field, mutually agreeable to Guernsey’s and the purchaser.
17. The copyrights in and to the items depicted in this catalogue, and the rights of publicity to the names, images and likenesses of persons or items depicted in this catalogue, are exclusively owned by the Consignor of the property or third parties. A BUYER OF AN ITEM OFFERED FOR SALE DOES NOT ACQUIRE ANY COPYRIGHT, COMMERCIAL RIGHT, OR SIMILAR RIGHT WHATSOEVER TO THE ITEMS OR THE IMAGES OR LIKENESSES CONTAINED THEREIN AND THE BUYER MAY NOT REPRODUCE ANY ITEM PURCHASED WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER. No copies or photographs, catalogue descriptions or other written material in this catalogue may be reproduced in any manner without the express written permission of the copyright holder.
If you are a successful Internet Bidder…
1. You will receive an invoice by email following the auction. (If you believe you are a successful bidder and don’t receive an invoice, please contact Guernsey’s (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. Payment is due promptly and within 10 days of receipt of invoice. All payments must be in U.S. Dollars, and all checks must be drawn on a U.S. bank.
3. Payment must made by Wire Transfer, Bank Check or to Guernsey’s PayPal account. Upon receipt of payment, you will receive a paid receipt by email from Guernsey’s or from the bidding platform you used.
4. Once a paid receipt has been received, purchases are available for release, at which time an appointment can be scheduled for pick-up by you or your purchases can be released for shipping.
5. Shipping, handling and insurance costs are the responsibility of the winning bidder. Should you wish to learn more about your shipping options, please contact Guernsey's at email@example.com prior to the auction.
6. To facilitate removal and/or shipping, we can direct you to an independent moving and storage company should you wish to avail yourself of their services. Guernsey’s takes no part in any transactions between you and this firm.
7. Neither Guernsey’s, nor any shipper we might introduce you to, can be held responsible for any shipping restrictions and delays resulting from Coronavirus, that may be imposed by law.