All payments must be made in Australian Dollars.
Accepted Payment Methods: Cash, Bank Transfer, EFT, Visa, Mastercard.
Surcharges: Visa and Mastercard: 1.3%.
No surcharge for payments made by cash, EFT, or via bank transfer. Cheques by prior arrangement only.
- All Bidders are required to register before bidding in any auction. Registration requires completing a buyers registration form, agreement to the terms and conditions, and obtaining a bidder number (When bidding online a bidder number is automatically assigned). By bidding at the auction, whether in person or by agent, by written bid, telephone, internet, or any other means, the Buyer agrees to be bound by these terms.
CONDITIONS OF SALE
- The Book Merchant Jenkins (hereafter referred to as the Auctioneer) is the agent for the Vendor, acting on their behalf, and is not responsible for any act, omission, or default of either the Vendor or the Buyer.
- The Auctioneer has the right to refuse the registration of any bidder, and to refuse or eject any person from the place of auction.
- All bids are non retractable. Any bid acknowledged and relied on by the Auctioneer may not be withdrawn without the approval of the Auctioneer.
- The successful bidder shall be deemed to be the buyer and be personally liable unless it has been agreed in writing at the time of registration and prior to the sale that a bidder is acting as agent on behalf of a third party and that such third party is acceptable to the Auctioneer.
- Subject to any reserve price, the highest bidder acknowledged by the Auctioneer at the fall of the hammer shall be the Buyer. The Auctioneer has the right to refuse any bid, to advance the bidding at the Auctioneer’s discretion, and in the event of any dispute, the Auctioneer has the sole and final right to determine the successful Buyer, or to re-offer the article in dispute.
- The Auctioneer reserves the right to divide, combine, or withdraw any item or lot, at any time, before the fall of the hammer.
- All lots are sold on a GST inclusive basis unless otherwise indicated. Lots sold and shipped in house to an international location will be sold as GST Free Exports.
- A Buyer’s Premium will be added to any successful hammer price, whether made in person, written, telephone, online through thebookmerchantjenkins.com or through a third party platform, and is payable by the buyer on top of the hammer price. The Buyer’s Premium will be calculated at a percentage rate as published on each auction.
- If bidding through a third party bidding platform under no circumstances will the Auctioneer or their Vendors be liable for any loss or damages which may arise from use of a third party platform.
- All lots have been carefully inspected and a bibliographic and condition description provided with any defects noted in the catalogue. These statements, are expressions of opinion and are not to be relied on as a statement of fact or contractual representation. The Auctioneer in their capacity as a professional antiquarian bookseller is available to assist and advise prior to the commencement of an auction however all prospective buyers are advised to make their own inspections and to satisfy themselves as to the condition and completeness of any lot.
- Notwithstanding the above, the Auctioneer warrants for a period of thirty (30) days from the date of sale to the original buyer of record, that unless otherwise stated each lot is complete in text and illustration and generally is in such physical condition as may reasonably be expected considering the age and provenance. This guarantee does not cover damages to binding, stains or foxing, wormholes, short leaves of text or plates or any defect not affecting the completeness of the text. Moreover, this guarantee does not cover the lack of inserted advertisements, blank leaves, cancels, or subsequently published volumes, appendices, supplements, or plates. Nor shall it apply to any defects announced either verbally or by written notice prior to the sale of an item.
- Considering the above, in the event that a buyer finds a lot to be defective and not so described, the Auctioneer undertakes to rescind the sale and refund the full purchase price, provided that the lot is returned within 30 days of the auction and that the lot is returned in the same condition as it was at the date of the sale.
- This guarantee only applies to the original buyer of the lot.
- The above does not apply to box or shelf lots, unnamed items in a lot, or to lots with more than 3 items that have not been described in full.
ABSENTEE, TELEPHONE, AND ONLINE BIDDING
- The Auctioneer will accept and execute on behalf of a bidder written bids provided 12 hours prior to the commencement of an auction.
- The Auctioneer will accept requests for telephone bids for lots with a low estimate of AU$1,000 or more up to 24 hours prior to the commencement of an auction.
- While every attempt will be made to contact requested telephone bids, to provide reliable internet bidding, and to execute written bids accurately, no liability will be accepted by The Auctioneer for any missed bids due to any connection issue whether online or by telephone, or for any inaccuracy which may or may not be present in a written bid.
- The Buyer is responsible for securing their online account and all participation in an auction undertaken by their online account.
PAYMENTS & COLLECTION
- All won lots must be paid for within 24 hours of being invoiced. All invoices issued in Australian Dollars.
- Accepted payment methods: Cash, Bank Deposit, EFTPOS, Visa, Mastercard.
- All payments via EFTPOS, debit, or credit cards will attract a surcharge equal to the cost of acceptance.
- All won lots must be collected within 7 days of the auction unless by prior arrangement agreed to in writing by the Auctioneer, or where the winner of a lot has requested shipping of their won lots.
- If any lot sold is not collected and paid for, the Auctioneer and/or the Vendor shall have the right to resell the lot either by public or private sale, and any deficiency on resale, together with any other costs incurred, shall be borne by the defaulting buyer.
- The Auctioneer provides a full in-house domestic and international shipping service. A small packing and handling for single book lots applies. Large and fragile lots will be charged at a half-hourly rate. Postage costs are charged on top of the handling fee and shipped via the most practical carrier. Standard and express services available. Please refer to the shipping information page for more details and cost estimates.
- For international shipments it is the Buyers responsibility to be aware of any export or import limitations, restrictions, duties, taxes, or any other issue which may hinder the delivery of any purchase. The Auctioneer will not be responsible for any tax, duty, licence, or other requirement of an importer. The Auctioneer will not be liable for any cost or damages resulting from the Buyer being unaware of their obligations as an importer.
- All lots sent via the in house service are tracked and insured with delivery in the condition they are sent out in guaranteed.
- All claims for damaged or lost parcels must be made within 30 days.
- No lost parcel claim will be paid until the conclusion of an investigation by the postal service.
- Buyers are welcome to use their own packing and/or carrier service by arrangement. All third party shipping services must be authorised by the Auctioneer prior to collection. If using a third party shipping service once collected by the authorised agent the Auctioneer warrants no further delivery guarantee.